A few months ago I was reading emails and interviews from my favorite bloggers. I was seeing a trend, everyone was talking about blogging. How to start a blog and why you should, I was intrigued!
I wish there was a one-stop-shop on how to start a blog but the truth is that information is everywhere! Some bloggers will send you free books, some have classes you can buy.
My dilemma was starting a blog on a budget! I didn’t have a whole lot of extra money to spend on blog set up, domain purchasing or design.
- Set up with bluehost.com A free domain is included!
- Install wordpress–there are free classes on udemy.com that will teach you exactly how to do this
- Install a theme (you are automatically given a theme, if you like it for now keep it)
- Make a blog binder or notebook where you can keep all your passwords–trust me you will want to do this.
- Once your blog is set up the way you want it start writing and posting!
Using Bluehost has been so easy. I really wish I would have started out with bluehost. I actually started a different site using blacksteel hosting and, I would personally not recommend blacksteel hosting or ever use them again.
What I love about Bluehost is the customer service, you can speak to a real live person! Also, the website is easy to use and I was able to understand how to access my new site. You do pay for your year of hosting up front but that can be as low as $60 if you choose the smallest package. Do yourself a favor and start your blog out with a good hosting company. Do your research and choose one that fits within your budget.
I really can’t say enough good things about udemy.com. I bought a $15 class called WordPress for Beginners-Master WordPress Quickly by Andrew Williams. This class is so easy to understand. I am not techie at all and was able to put my blog together how I wanted it. Plus, the instructor gives you the resources for your needed pages like the disclaimer, privacy, etc. This class was a time-saver. Ps. The link above should take you to the class, it is not an affiliate link, I am not affiliated with udemy.com, I just like the classes on there.
Books & Classes on Blogging
I read How to Blog for Profit Without Selling Your Soul this was a great book by one of my favorite bloggers Ruth Soukup. This is not a how to start a blog book but once you are set up and ready to go this book will be a great resource. I love that I was able to get this book on my kindle and read it right away!
I also used Blogelina.com for a 4 week blogging class that was full of resources! This class got me set up with a facebook group of other bloggers and I actually used their blog design service which was reasonably priced. I would highly recommend the blogging class through Blogelina, I learned so much about blogging, setting goals and the various ways you can monetize your blog.
Update 2/21/16–I bought Abby’s book called Building A Framework: The Ultimate Blogging Handbook. This book has been so helpful and is so worth it! There are three different packages, I chose the $25 package which included the ebook, a blog binder of printables and a check list.
My Personal Advice:
- I have spent hours on researching, taking classes and learning how to set up my blog. A blog is not easy, this is hard work and lots of time you are investing. Set yourself up with some blogging hours, which are set hours in your day that you only work on blogging/writing and then stop and move on to your real life– Trust me, blogging can easily take up your whole day.
- Get on Pinterest and set up a “blogging” board, then you can pin all the great information you see when you’re researching and have it all in one place.
- Follow your favorite bloggers by subscribing to their emails or on social media. Make friends!
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions! And don’t be afraid to GOOGLE it! I found so many answers to my questions on youtube for free 🙂
- **updated 2/25/16–Social Media is hard work. Make it easier–check out this post about Twitter
Are you thinking about starting a blog? What is holding you back?—
Or are you a newbie like me? What are your favorite blogging resources?
**updated 10/10/16 Check out my step by step tutorial on how to start a blog using Bluehost. Don’t miss out on the bonus blog review if you sign up through my link!
Do you get the Resource Page?
Each week I'll send you the latest Resource Page. In it, you'll find
- Handy tips for focusing on positivity throughout your week.
- Tricks for getting your kids to listen to your every word (just kidding,Girl-- I'm still working on getting my kids to listen!) But I will send you fun activity ideas for you and your kids to do together.
- Useful tools that I come across, like meal planning ideas and such!