An Emergency Fund is essential! Especially when trying to get out of debt, but building an emergency fund can take time. Right now we are following Dave Ramsey’s Baby Steps and #1 is Save 1,000 for an emergency fund.
To me that looked like it would take forever. Where would we come up with $1,000 extra bucks?
Know what? It wasn’t that bad and as of 7/9/15 our Emergency fund was fully funded! Woohoo. And the best part is that it’s exactly 7 months later and we have not touched it. We’ve actually earned money on it!
If you need to jump start your emergency fund start with these simple ideas:
- Start a bare bones budget. Pay your “needs” first. Needs are things like rent, food, gas, payments on your vehicles, utilities.. things like that. Check out this post on Wants vs. Needs for more info.
- Cut out non necessary expenses for now. You don’t need cable if you don’t have an emergency fund or if you’re in debt and can’t make ends meet. Just saying. I am a hardcore #TWD fan and I go watch it at my mom’s house every Sunday. Any money left over after paying your “needs” goes straight to savings. See this post for ideas on saving money now.
- Open a separate bank account. I highly recommended Capital One 360.We use Capital One 360 for the emergency fund savings. I like the online banking and I like that it’s separated from our main account. I honestly think if the money was in an account in our regular bank we would have used it by now. The fact that it’s “out of sight out of mind” really helps. Transfer the money each time you get paid. If you transfer right away you won’t be tempted to use it.
- How can you earn extra money this month? Pick up some overtime, mow lawns, babysit, sell items at the flea market or craigslist or FB yard sale groups.Whatever you have to do just do it. You may be tired and cranky for the extra work but it will be worth it in the end. You’ll end up with your emergency fund fully funded and peace of mind!
Already have your emergency fund fully funded or almost there? What are you doing to find that extra money? Leave a comment below.
Do you get the Resource Page?
Each week I'll send you the latest Resource Page. In it, you'll find
- Handy tips for focusing on positivity throughout your week.
- Tricks for getting your kids to listen to your every word (just kidding,Girl-- I'm still working on getting my kids to listen!) But I will send you fun activity ideas for you and your kids to do together.
- Useful tools that I come across, like meal planning ideas and such!