Learn to Crochet!
No surprises over here, I love crafting! The problem I have is never finding enough time to fit learning a new skill or doing a craft into my schedule. Not anymore. I made time in the past 4 weeks to watch videos on Youtube and learn how to crochet! I am in love with the scarf I made for my daughter! It’s not perfect, not even close, but she loves it too. I love that with this crafting you can make real Christmas gifts! 🙂
Where to start
1.Learn how to do a slipknot, a chain and a single crochet HERE Once you have the basics down you can start on an easy project. I started with making a grey scarf which took forever but it was great practice. I also just practiced by making little square dish cloths and using different stitches. The biggest issue was that my work was coming out uneven. So practice, practice!
This video is also a good beginner video and has the double crochet on there too.
2. Buy some cheaper yarn to start off with. I went to Walmart and bought Red Heart E728.2515 Soft Yarn, Turquoise You can grab it on Amazon too or head over to JoAnn Fabrics. I love this yarn because it’s soft, and it’s inexpensive so it’s perfect to learn to crochet with. I also bought these Crochet Dude hooks. It’s a good idea to have a variety of sizes.
3. So once you have your yarn and have the basics down, get on youtube and search “Beginner Crochet” or check out my Pinterest Board titled Crochet for Beginners I have lots of cute projects that I want to try out. If you’re on Pinterest, follow me while you’re over there 😉
4. I highly recommended watching Love4Nails on Youtube. She doesn’t use the standard crochet terms but her videos are very easy to follow along, I made the beautiful blue scarf by following along with her. You can check her out here! She has tons of crochet videos and some really cute projects like matching hat and scarf sets.
I made the scarf in that video and I love the way it came out! Best advice when making it is to make sure your chain doesn’t turn. I made the 10 row scarf. And am currently working on the 20 row!
I used about half of this yarn on the 10 row scarf, so I have more than enough to make a matching beanie and the scarf and beanie will be Christmas gifts!
Another project I tried was making a mug cozy using the video below. Mine turned out cute but not exactly how I wanted it. So, I’ll be working on making more of those. I think this would be a super cute gift along with a mug and maybe a gift card?
Post a link to your favorite crochet tutorials! See my Pinterest board for more ideas and beginner projects—Crochet for Beginners–click there!
Do you get the Resource Page?
Each week I'll send you the latest Resource Page. In it, you'll find
- Handy tips for focusing on positivity throughout your week.
- Tricks for getting your kids to listen to your every word (just kidding,Girl-- I'm still working on getting my kids to listen!) But I will send you fun activity ideas for you and your kids to do together.
- Useful tools that I come across, like meal planning ideas and such!