The summer days are going by fast. Like super fast.
I feel like I blink and the weekend is gone. It’s back to work and back to missing my kids.
We’ve been keeping busy though.
And trying to stay in budget while we’re out in about. Isn’t crazy that average American family spends about $100 per month on fast food?
To be honest, for the last few months we
might have spent more than $100. Which is terrible because I know how much we save when I meal plan and stick to our food budget!
Anyway, I pinpointed why we were spending so much on fast food during the weekend. It was really simple-we weren’t eating or snacking right before we left the house, or packing any snacks to eat once we got hungry.
It’s so easy to grab a lunch box, an ice pack and a few snacks. This weekend we were in a hurry so I grabbed some Danimals smoothies and packed them up for the kids while we spent an afternoon house hunting and playing at a new park.
Along with trying to keep out of the fast food lanes, we’re trying to find free or cheap things to do together.
Free things to do with your kids this summer
- Free movies- check your local theater for their list of free summer movies
- Spray parks
- Free or cheap swimming pools
- BINGO night–grab a BINGO set & fill a bag with prizes. Your kids will love it!
- Explore new parks
- Movie night at home
- S’mores night
- Play hide n’ seek
- Plan a family game night
- Go for a walk or bike ride together
- Cook dinner together
- Volunteer as a family
Don’t forget to throw these smoothies in a lunchbox with an ice pack to keep them cold! You can even try making frozen treats out of them – I saw that here.
These smoothies are so easy to take along pretty much anywhere we go. I even had a few this weekend! My kids love ’em and they’re quick and yummy snacks.
Which free, kid friendly activities did I miss? Let me know in the comments.
Do you get the Resource Page?
Each week I'll send you the latest Resource Page. In it, you'll find
- Handy tips for focusing on positivity throughout your week.
- Tricks for getting your kids to listen to your every word (just kidding,Girl-- I'm still working on getting my kids to listen!) But I will send you fun activity ideas for you and your kids to do together.
- Useful tools that I come across, like meal planning ideas and such!