How often do you find yourself worrying about someone else’s problems? For me, it used to be very often.
I am a people-pleaser and want the best for everyone so I would go out of my way to help fix problems. Guess what? It often backfired and left me feeling unappreciated.
Why? Probably because I was sticking my nose in other people’s business trying to solve their problems for them!
I finally realized solving personal problems for everyone is not my job! I can’t be the one who fixes everything because that leaves me overwhelmed.
So, I quit.
I started saying No.
I stopped offering advice.
I think the best advice I ever heard was “don’t give advice unless specifically asked.” That means just because I hear someone complaining about money I shouldn’t run over and tell them how to pay all their bills on time.
I can still be a positive and motivating example to others, but I don’t have to solve their problems. That’s the freeing part.
When I finally realized that it’s not my job to be the “fixer” I was able to make room for so much more in my life.
To let go of problems that are not yours, you need to understand or do the following:
- Worrying for someone else does nothing. Worrying over problems of your own does nothing. I am working on letting go of worry. Do you need to let go of worry too?
- Be there as a friend and show support . When someone else has a problem most times they just need someone to listen to their issues. Sit there and listen, don’t offer advice or suggestions unless specifically asked. Just listen.
- There are problems and events in life that are going to make you so sad. This is normal. You can be sad. You do eventually have to snap out of it and keep going. Remember that part.
- Be positive. Look on the brightside. Listen to happy music and realize that things have a way of working out.
This post is part of my A Year Of Positivity series. Each week I publish one new post that is related to positivity. You can check the last few posts by clicking below. I’d also love for you to sign up for emails, we’ll never spam you! 🙂
Do you get the Resource Page?
Each week I'll send you the latest Resource Page. In it, you'll find
- Handy tips for focusing on positivity throughout your week.
- Tricks for getting your kids to listen to your every word (just kidding,Girl-- I'm still working on getting my kids to listen!) But I will send you fun activity ideas for you and your kids to do together.
- Useful tools that I come across, like meal planning ideas and such!