It’s so easy to get caught up in the cycle of retail therapy. You watch an ad, see how fabulous that mom on TV looks with those amazing wedge shoes and think “I need those shoes to be a fabulous mom, I have to have them.” I need those shoes because they will make all my outfits complete. I’ll look put-together and I’ll be a better mom! I need them!
Okay. So maybe that’s just me. Whatever. 😉 I’ll admit it. At times I have trouble identifying wants vs. needs. I have a tendency to make my wants into needs and screw up my budget. And I know I’m not the only one!
This is our list of needs:
- Shelter & household goods
- Basic clothing (don’t get crazy)
- Payment for van and gas money
- Haircuts (for my husband) he won’t let me try youtubing a hair cut for him, I really don’t blame him since he works outside the home. 🙂
We need to have those items in order to eat, live safely and comfortably, and get to work/school. I know that if I use the money on things we want and don’t pay these first- we will be in trouble. So I always pay these items first on my budget.
Wants are different. They are things we can go without.
For our family “wants” are extras like going to the movies, cable tv, eating out (especially fast food) and toys and games. This doesn’t mean we never get our “wants” but it does mean that we save for them and we don’t choose our “wants” over paying bills or other important things like giving and saving. It also means that when we get something from our “want” list, it’s a lot more special and we are a lot more grateful.
Need 6 simple ideas on how to save money starting now? Check out this post right here.
Do you get the Resouce Page?
Each week (or every other week) I'll send you the latest Resource Page. In it, you'll find
- Handy tips for focusing on positivity throughout your week.
- Tricks for getting your kids to listen to your every word (just kidding,Girl-- I'm still working on getting my kids to listen!) But I will send you fun activity ideas for you and your kids to do together.
- Useful tools that I come across, like meal planning ideas and such!
- Cool stuff I find out about.